Lowering the Windshield on a 2019-2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
Every once in a while you need to lower the windshield in your Jeep Wrangler JL. This happened to me recently when I was installing the JLE-Dock by Vector Offroad. The following is step by step instructions on how to lower your windshield in your Jeep Wrangler JL.
- Torx #T40 Bit
- 15mm socket
The above mentioned tools come standard with every new jeep. A replacement tool kit can be purchase through Amazon if needed.
Folding and Raising the Windsheild in a 2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
- Lower your soft top or remove the hard top freedom panels.
- Remove (using your hands) the protective caps over the windshield wiper hex bolts shown in the photo below. There is nothing special about these, they should just pop off.
- Use a 15mm socket to remove the two hex bolts underneath the caps shown in the photo above and remove the windshield wipers.
When I was removing the windshield wipers the first time, they were a beast to get off. I don't think there is a good way to get them off. It has been said that grunting and swearing helps.
- Lower both sun visors.
- Use a #40 Torx bit to remove the four Torx screws (two on the driver side and two on the passenger side) located along the interior of the windshield shown in the photo below (remove screws from the same locations on the driver's side).
- Lower the windshield until it contacts the foot-man loop bumpers on the hood shown in the photo below.
- If you intend to leave the windshield down, secure it by passing a cinch strap through the footman loops on both sides of the hood and on the windshield frame (in the areas indicated by arrows below). Tighten the strap to secure the windshield.
Every jeep is supposed to come with cinch straps when brand new. My jeep did not. Do not go driving with your windshield down without it properly tied down.
- Don't misplace your torx screws once they are removed.
- I had a hella good time trying to remove the windshield wipers. There just wasn't an easy way to do it.
- Lowering the windshield is essential to make the installation of the Vector Offroad JLE-Dock a breeze.